Click here to send us your inquires or call (852) 36130518
Kayamkulam Church

It is believed that there was a small Christian Community in Kayamkulam at least from the ninth century, which was strengthened with the arrival of Portuguese (1503) who made Kayamkulam a centre for their trade and military operations. Kayamkulam was officially erected a Parochial District in 1580. Kayamkulam is listed as one of the important churches visited by Archbishop Menesis in 1599. Jesuits & Franciscans were administering Kayamkulam and it was considered one of the two important Churches (along with Arthumkal) between Quilon and Cochin. During the Schism of 1653 a good chunk of Christians of Kayamkulam went over to the Jacobite Church. There was a big Anglo Indian Community in Kayamkulam but almost all of them left for Australia and other parts of India for better prospects reducing Kayamkulam Parish to a small Community. The Parish has given two Bishops to the Church-Bishop Lawrence Pereira the first Bishop of Kottar and Bishop Maxwell Noronha the former Bishop of Calicut. Rt. Rev. Msgr. A.J. Rozario the Judicial Vicar and the former Vicar General hails from Kayamkulam.

 

 

 

Contact: The Parish Priest

St. Antony' church ,Kayamkulam � 690 502 ,Alappuzha ,Tel: 0479-2444039

 

 

 

 

Church under construction............................................................................................................

BACK TO STATIONS
© 2005 ++ Quilon Diocese++. All rights reserved